Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The 9 to 5

Well...8 to 12.
So I haven't ever written about work before, and I think now is a good time to share about it. If you didn't know, I work at a 6th grade. The job basically fell into my lap last semester. I hang out with the kids after school doing stuff like legos, film club, four square, etc. Right now we're doing summer camp, which is about 4 weeks long and just in the mornings from 8-12. Camp has been really fun. I thought the job was ok during the semester, but now I'm loving it so much more for a few reasons. One, more time with the people I work with means getting to know them better. And turns out, I really like them. I mean get this. Mrs. G came in the other morning saying she had a gift for me. Everyone, most of all me, was intrigued. She said she had found it on clearance and it was perfect for me. Yes...it was a box of High School Musical cereal. Thank you, Mrs. G. Of course, all the boys proceeded to make fun of me the rest of the day. That's ok. I know they were just jealous. Mr. Kyle is another likable coworker. We are basically the young ones that act like kids and love to play. He's great and goes all out in everything. Last week, we made a giant maze for the kids complete with cave, tunnel, trap doors, dead ends, secret passageways, and scary creatures popping out to scare them. Muahaha. Today, we began a rivalry in dodgeball. I was really scared because we were playing with a hackeysack which really hurts. He kept throwing hard at me, and I ended up threatening him. He still got me twice. Game on, Mr. Kyle.

The other thing I really love about my job right now is that only boys have come during the summer time. Who knew I would like them so much more than girls? No texting, complaining, not wanting to play. They are so fun! They can find fun in anything and have great senses of humor. I love joking with them and feel like they are really themselves around me.

All this time, I'm getting paid. What?? God is so good. I was telling my mom some of the funny stories from the kids and she commented that she really saw God's faithfulness to me in this job. One of the themes of life right now is really trying to learn how to laugh and enjoy life. I feel like I'm able to do that at work. It's just neat because I know how good this job is for me. It balances me. Brings something out in me that I'm unable to let out at school. Praise God that He knows our needs better than we do and shows us things we love even if we didn't know it before.

So that's work. Oh, one last story. Today during dodgeball I had finally mustered up enough nerve to join in the game (seriously, it's brutal people) and I joined my team. The other team started aiming and firing at me. My heart started pounding and I started to sweat. I hardly noticed when my teammate Juan got hit. (Juan is basically the cutest boy I have seen. His smile melts my heart.) Well come to find out later that Juan hadn't just got hit. That's right. He stepped in front a ball aimed at me to save me. Juan took the bullet for me. That made my whole week. Just a little tidbit for yall. :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Nikki said...

Awww... way to go Juan.... and way to go Ash for steppin out there and playing dodgeball!

It is neat to see how perfect this job is for you- I bet you're amazing with the kids! He who promised is faithful...

(So how was the cereal?)

June 28, 2009 at 5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home